This post may include Amazon links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Happy New Year!
For some time now, I’ve been considering goals, mentally cataloguing them. Today, the first in 2017, is the perfect time to more formally (and publicly!) set down goals for the year. I would not under any circumstances call them resolutions because I don’t believe in those. In my opinion, resolutions are just ways of setting yourself up for failure! Goals, on the other hand, are more suggestions, things to aim for, kinder somehow.
- I feel like I’m pretty good at selecting books I’ll enjoy and want to continue to refine that skill. I never want to forget that I read for pleasure above all else. At the same time, I want to be open to what others tell me about books they’ve enjoyed and tap more often into their wisdom.
- According to Goodreads I read 68 books in 2016 and I think that’s about right. My goal had been 50, so I exceeded it by quite a lot. For 2017, I’m setting my Goodreads goal at 75. I’d really like to do 100, but also want to be realistic and don’t want to find myself shying away from longer books.
- I’d also like to read more nonfiction in the coming year. Last year I only read a couple and know that I’m missing out in being reluctant to take on nonfiction. So, for 2017 I hope to read at least 6 nonfiction books. I already have several upcoming nonfiction releases in my TBR pile, so I think this will be a fairly achievable goal.
- Audibooks are something else I’d like to work more into my reading life. Last year I only did 2, and will try to listen to at least 6 this year. I think spring and summer are easier times for me to do this because I’ve found I really enjoy listening while going on walks, so good weather helps.
- My blog is still a baby at 6 months old, so I want to give it (and myself) the freedom to work out some of the growing pains. I’m still figuring out how all this works and what’s best for the blog, its readers, and me.
- Connect more with other blogs and book bloggers. I’ve done some, but not enough and I know that’s good for me as a blogger AND as a reader!
- To be selective in the books I request for ARCs and not to get overcommitted in that area. I want the freedom to move into reading books on the spur of the moment.
- Be. More. Organized. This is something that I’ve already been working on. I’ve set up spreadsheets to keep track of the books I’ve read and those I plan to read. (Thank you to Sarah@sarahsbookshelves for advice in this.)
- Plan further out than the next week! I know this won’t always be possible, but think I can take a closer look at where I’m headed and what upcoming events I’ll want to be a part of.
- Try to avoid getting hung up on the numbers! Sometimes I find this quite difficult, but I know that stressing about growth, comments, followers, etc. just isn’t healthy.
That seems like enough for the first day of a brand new year! What are your goals for 2017?